Monday, April 4, 2011

The Nerd Effect - Famous nerd from history

So I was going to write this blog about a famous nerd from history. The problem is, I can't really think of a famous nerd. The fact that Google returns almost no useful results for a search of "famous nerds in history"speaks volumes about the "Nerd Effect". Most people who aren't nerds tend to stay away from nerd culture and ignore those individuals that they consider to be nerds. This could partially explain why it is difficult to find a nerd from non-recent history. What I really want to talk about though is why it seems that nerds have such a tough time fitting into normal social situations. When I think about some nerd activities the first things that come to mind are: video games, computers, and the Internet. These are all things that I personally enjoy using too, though I do not consider myself a nerd. Why then, do nerds who like many of the same things as everyone else nowadays not fit in? Nearly every college student seems to have a smartphone and a laptop that they rely on for everyday tasks. Why is it then that nerds have the same interests but still don't fit in? My opinion is that the difference between nerds and non-nerds is not so much their interests but rather their personalities. Nerds just don't have the desire to be socially accepted or wear trendy clothes. They are kind of like hippies in that they have their own separated group and culture, only they are very interested in technology and knowledge instead of hugging trees. Either way, I believe the trend in this country is moving towards nerds who are also capable of interacting with other people in the workplace and society due to the growing popularity of technology use.

No comments:

Post a Comment